Ayurveda and yoga are sister Vedic sciences which have been united for hundreds of years for the sake of therapeutic physique, thoughts, and consciousness. Usually talking, Ayurveda offers extra with the well being of the physique, whereas yoga offers with purifying the thoughts and consciousness, however in actuality they complement and embrace one another.
The traditional rishis (seers) had been the unique masters of all Vedic sciences. They understood that good well being is a superb asset on the trail towards Self-realization. If the physique is uncared for it will possibly simply turn into an impediment to religious follow. Anybody who has practiced meditation for any size of time would comply with how tough it may be to take a seat nonetheless for lengthy durations of time with out feeling discomfort and fatigue. Each yoga and Ayurveda are mutually supportive and provide some ways to stop and heal varied issues in addition to to cleanse and rejuvenate the physique.
Apart from sharing a philosophical basis, each methods have many similarities in relation to angle, vitamin, weight-reduction plan, hygiene, train, cleaning practices, in addition to religious practices. Historically, a scholar of yoga would first reside near and serve the guru for a few years, throughout which period he would be taught wholesome habits. The fundamental Ayurvedic rules for well being and longevity had been previous on within the lineage in oral kind to function a basis for a lifetime of sadhana (religious follow).
These days, the teachings of yoga are simply accessible to all, and whether or not ready or not we will leap headlong into its follow. This has its blessings, within the sense that extra individuals may be turned on to the teachings, though a lot is commonly misplaced with out the parampara, or shut steerage on the toes of an achieved grasp. With this in thoughts, fashionable yoga practitioners would most actually profit from a primary data of Ayurveda to assist set up a wholesome each day routine and alter their follow in response to the structure, dosha imbalance, season, and so forth, to stop illness and promote longevity.
First, let’s check out the similarities between yoga and Ayurveda:
* Each are historic Vedic teachings. Yoga originates within the Yajur Veda, whereas Ayurveda originates within the Atharva Veda and Rig Veda.
* Each acknowledge that conserving the physique wholesome is significant for fulfilling the 4 goals of life: Dharma (obligation), Artha (wealth), Kama (need), and Moksha (liberation).
* Each acknowledge that the steadiness of doshas (humors), dhatus (tissues), and malas (waste merchandise) is important for sustaining good well being.
* Each share nearly the identical metaphysical anatomy and physiology, which consists of 72,000 nadis (delicate channels), 7 important chakras (vitality facilities), 5 bodily sheaths, and the Kundalini Shakti (vitality).
* Each advocate using weight-reduction plan, herbs, asana, pranayama, meditation, mantra, astrology, prayer, puja, and rituals for therapeutic your complete being.
* Each encourage bodily well being as an excellent basis for psychological, emotional, and religious well-being.
* Each share the identical view on psychology. Ayurveda embraces all six of the primary colleges of philosophy together with the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali and Vedanta (a non-dual philosophical and religious path). They each perceive that the attachment to the body-mind complicated is the foundation reason behind all struggling and that the final word state of well being is skilled after we abide in our true nature, which is whole peace, whatever the state of the bodily physique.
* Each use cleaning strategies for the physique, all of which encourage the elimination of waste merchandise and toxins by means of their pure routes of elimination. Ayurveda has panchakarma (5 cleaning actions) and yoga makes use of Shat Karma (six purification measures).
Ayurvedic strategy to asana follow
The usage of asana, pranayama, and meditation for therapeutic is named Yoga Chikitsa, or Yoga Remedy and has been used for hundreds of years by Ayurvedic and yogic adepts. In Yoga Chikitsa, a bunch of yogic workout routines are chosen that may greatest help the person and are practiced each day. This may be achieved over an prolonged time period along side an Ayurvedic regime and natural and dietary therapies. Yoga Chikitsa additionally performs an integral position within the Ayurvedic cleaning and rejuvenation course of often called panchakarma.
For a nicely balanced private yoga follow, you will need to consider the person’s physique construction, prakruti (authentic structure), and vikruti (current constitutional imbalance). The next are normal suggestions in response to the predominant dosha.
Vata predominant people ought to keep in mind to deal with calming, grounding, stillness, strengthening, and balancing whereas doing their follow.
Precautions for vata:
* Vinyasa or move types of yoga have a tendency to maneuver too rapidly from one pose to the following and might worsen the hyper-mobile high quality of vata over time. Movement sequences may be made to be extra vata pacifying if they don’t seem to be excessively lengthy, the size of time poses are held is prolonged, and transitions are achieved slowly and consciously.
* These with decrease again issues could discover that bending the knees in standing ahead bends can forestall discomfort.
* Again bends ought to be achieved slowly, fastidiously and inside one’s personal limits.
Pitta people ought to keep a peaceful, cool, and relaxed intention whereas doing asanas. Pitta varieties could profit from making an attempt to domesticate an angle of forgiveness, and of surrendering or providing the fruits of their follow to the divine of to these in want of constructive therapeutic vitality. As a result of asana follow tends to generate warmth within the physique, it’s best to do them at cooling instances of the day, akin to daybreak or nightfall. Additionally, it’s helpful to position some emphasis on poses that assist to launch extra warmth from the physique, akin to poses that compress the photo voltaic plexus and poses that open the chest like.
Kapha varieties are typically sedentary and sometimes dislike vigorous train. Because of this, their follow ought to be energetic, warming, lightening, and stimulating, offering they’re bodily succesful. Vinyasa or move model yoga is nice for kapha as a result of it’s dynamic and strikes rapidly from one pose to the following, it induces sweating and will get the guts pumping.
Yoga poses that tackle particular doshic issues may be simply added to an Ayurvedic regime and built-in into an current yoga routine, or they are often organized as a small session with the assistance of an Ayurvedic clinician who is aware of every particular person case nicely and may help arrange a nicely balanced program in response to the wants of every consumer.
Ayurveda additionally gives Yoga Chikitsa, or Yoga Remedy, for particular doshic issues. It’s suggested to seek the advice of an Ayurvedic practitioner for an individualized regime.
Ayurvedic Method to Pranayama (respiratory strategies).
The last word objective of pranayama is to calm the thoughts and put together it for meditation. It additionally has a therapeutic impact on the bodily physique as nicely. It isn’t important to do a pranayama follow in response to dosha, however understanding its results on the physique is a useful software for administration of the doshas. Beneath is a normal record of pranayama and bandha workout routines in response to dosha.
Vata: Nadi Shodhana, Kapala Bhati, Agnisara Dhauti, Ujjayi, Tri Bandha, Maha Mudra.
Pitta: Sheetali or Sitkari, Nadi shodhana.
Kapha: Bastrika, Agnisara Dhauti, Kapala Bhati, Ashvini Mudra (contracting and releasing Mula Bandha), Ashvini Mudra, Ujjayi, Tri Bandha, Maha Mudra.
Moreover, the 4 Purifications taught in our workshops is an historic technique from the Ashtanga Yoga for purifying the gross and delicate physique as a way to put together it for extra superior practices. They’re tridoshic and protected for everybody, offering they’re carried out appropriately.
Meditation In keeping with Dosha.
These religious paths and their meditation strategies may be practiced by anybody, no matter their prakruti. This record is simply meant to present an thought on how dosha can help or affect one’s religious follow. Many traditions of yoga mix varied elements of the paths listed right here.
* Vata: Kriya Yoga or Ashtanga Yoga and different structured strategies assist to maintain vata stabilized and targeted.
* Pitta: Jnana Yoga and Vedanta are good for pitta varieties as a result of they typically have sharp intellects and have a eager curiosity in self-study (Atma-vichara).
* Kapha: Bhakti yoga is pure for kapha varieties as a result of they’re typically loving and devotional by nature.
Ayurvedic and Yogic Weight loss plan.
Ayurveda is extra involved with meals being constitutionally balanced, whereas Yoga promotes a weight-reduction plan that’s sattwic (mild and pure). A mixture of each elements is your best option for a yogi or anybody eager to make actual progress on a religious path.
Ayurvedic weight-reduction plan:
* In keeping with dosha.
* Primarily vegetarian (meat is used as drugs, primarily for excessive deficiencies).
* Primarily cooked (uncooked meals carefully, particularly for vata varieties).
* Containing six tastes.
Yogic weight-reduction plan:
* Sattwic vegetarian weight-reduction plan.
* Straightforward to digest.
* Easy meals (to restrict need).
* Each cooked and uncooked.
* Meals really helpful within the Hatha Yoga Pradipika encompass rejuvenating substances akin to wheat, entire grain, white basmati, corn, uncooked milk, uncooked sugar, butter, ghee, honey, dried ginger, mung beans, pure water, greens.
* Fruits, roots and nuts.
* Avoiding extreme sizzling, bitter, salty, fermented, and fried meals.
* Avoiding tamasic (dulling) meals like meat, onions, garlic and mushrooms as an everyday a part of the each day weight-reduction plan.
Cleaning in Yoga and Ayurveda.
Ayurveda and Yoga each emphasize cleaning of the physique for well being and help of religious practices. Their strategies are related and work by expelling extra dosha and ama, or toxins, utilizing the physique’s pure routes of elimination.
The yogic technique is understood within the Ashtanga custom as Shat Karma, or six cleaning measures. These are:
1. Neti (nasal cleaning):
Jala neti (salt water flushing of the sinuses).
Sutra neti (nasal cleansing with string).
2. Dhauti (washing the GI tract).
Tooth, tongue, eyes, ears and brow.
Vamana Dhauti (vomiting salt water).
Vastra Dhauti (washing with a fabric).
Varisara Dhauti (washing with water for purgation).
3. Basti (enema).
4. Trataka (brow wash, gazing right into a candle flame).
5. Nauli (intestinal washing, belly rolling).
6. Kapala Bhati (cranium shining).
The Ayurvedic technique for cleaning and rejuvenation is named panchakarma (pancha karma), or 5 cleaning actions. This program is normally achieved for every week or two, however can be achieved for longer durations relying on the case. The 5 actions of this technique are:
1. Basti (Enema).
2. Nasya (Nasal utility of herbs and natural oils).
3. Vamana (Therapeutic vomiting).
4. Virechana (Purgation).
5. Rakta Moksha (Blood letting).
It’s apparent that Ayurveda and yoga not solely complement one another. Each sciences really embrace one another as they share similarities and basic rules on many ranges. Ayurveda and yoga ought to go hand in hand if we need to obtain optimum well being, peace, and longevity.